Holt Fintech Accelerator is currently receiving applications for their 2020 cohort – version 3.0.
This will be the third cohort following active investments in 18 top fintechs, enabling 30+ deals for their startups (ie. half with financial institutions as customers / partners, half with institutional investors), resulting in companies raising an additional $30 M following the program, up from $12 million prior to entering the program.
Of Holt’s 18 active portfolio companies, 6 are from Canada, and 8 are now incorporated in Canada. Furthermore, Holt’s international advisors have been instrumental in helping teams think strategically about international opportunities including obtaining investment in beachhead markets.
Sean Merat, CEO Owl.co, recently closed a $2.6 million, oversubscribed round, “the Holt Accelerator has been a tremendous catalyst for Owl. The Holt team along with their advisors are constantly looking for opportunities, and routinely connect us with key people at various Financial Institutions. I highly recommend it to early stage startups!” states Sean.
Key elements to the Holt’s 3.0 program
- Access to their network of 300+ advisors and mentors who represent over 35 FI’s, 50 investors and field experts in consulting, legal, and academia (including specialties like AI and blockchain).
- Tailored coaching that’s been proven help reach your milestones, whether it be customer growth (ie. closed on average one customer per company), obtaining financing (ie. most companies reached their next financing round), or product development (including deep tech).
- Huge visibility, including a pan-Canadian roadshow, thought leadership pieces centering you as an expert, and Holt’s one-and-only Fintech Show.
- Support in cementing your company in Canada, including incorporation, visa’s and hiring.
- Receive up to CAD $130,000, with potential for further follow-on funding at the Seed and Series A stages.
“Digital technology continues to bring major shifts to financial services and provides new approaches to the customer relationship. Through our involvement with Holt and their program participants, we can partner with talent from across the globe to develop new customer experiences and approaches that reinforce our position as the leading near-prime lender in Canada,” said François Côté, Holt Advisor, Chief Digital Officer at Fairstone Financial Inc., and one of Holt’s primary Corporate Innovation Champions.
As one of the largest financial centers amongst the Global Financial Centers Index, Montreal’s language and cultural diversity, it’s leadership in AI research, and its exceptional collaboration between university researchers and high-tech industries, make it the gateway between Europe and North America. With an accessible cost of living, Montreal is significantly more competitive to employ top talent versus other North American cities, especially when considering development tax credits.
“At Holt, we’ve proven that Canada, more specifically Montreal, is considered to be the best location to propel world class Fintech’s forward in the North American market.” says Jan Christopher Arp, Managing Partner at Holt.
The application deadline is May 9th at 11:59pm (EST).