Philipp is a product visionary, brand builder and an award-winning marketer who has been involved in the Vancouver tech scene for over 15 years. He is currently working as the Chief Marketing officer for Vopay
1. Tell us about your role at VoPay?
I am VoPay’s CMO and I get to share our vision of eliminating all payment inefficiencies, so businesses can focus on what they do best!
2. Can you tell us about your journey into this industry?
I’ve been involved in the Vancouver tech scene for over 15 years. In 2013 I co-founded RentMoola, which continues to be one of North America’s leading fintech companies with the mission to eliminate the rent cheque and modernize rent collection for the enterprise. Before that, I was a marketing leader for Mogo Technologies and Wonga Canada and began my career at Electronic Arts. Most recently I was SVP, Marketing at Progressa.
3. How do you think technology is developing the Finance Sector?
Open banking is completely transforming the fintech sector. It’s empowering consumers to access their own financial data across different platforms who are providing a new level of convenience and innovation, making life better.
4. How does your EFT payment solution standout from the competition?
We’ve taken the existing EFT payment solution and added a data layer from leading technology partners to offer instant bank account verification payments, improved payment speed and reduced NSFs.
5. What does the future of open banking payments look like?
I expect Canada and the U.S. to eventually follow the UK’s lead where open banking has become a key part of the banking structure. That said, I would expect North America to adopt an even more efficient process to help ensure consumers and businesses continue to benefit from game changing financial products and services.
6. How do banks and business benefit from your payments’ solution?
We are the API layer between banks and business. We provide a seamless connection to deliver a payment solution that combines a banks reliable infrastructure and a fintechs enhanced experience.
7. Why are you focused on account to account payments?
There continues to be ongoing pain points related to account to account payments. We believe that by providing a simple technology layer that connects and translates between the current financial institutions and global digital enterprises that we can democratize financial services for everyone.
8. VoPay recently partnered with Inverite for expanding open banking payments coverage. What does that mean for the users of both firms?
The partnership is part of VoPay’s ongoing commitment as an open banking payments leader to offer one API to optimize EFT payment processing, in this case for new and existing Inverite customers. Existing customers will be able to take advantage of their existing data integration with Invertie by leveraging their data tokens and have users skip all the authorization access and bank account selection steps, further streamlining the payment check out experience.
9. How do you prepare for an AI-Centric world?
Build a robust database that allows you to securely leverage data and future AI related projects.
10. What advice would you like to give to the technology Start Ups?
Start off by solving just ONE major pain point really well!
11. What is the Digital innovation in payments technology according to you that will mark 2020?
A surge in contactless payments and a new realization for the role fintechs play in helping deliver critical financial solutions that people no longer want, but expect.
12. What are the major fintech developments you are planning, in recent time?
Look out for two major partnership announcements in the coming months that will see us add a new payment services and further enhance our open banking payments solution.
13. Which movie inspires you the most?