Kalecser Kurtz is a Software Engineering Director at EBANX, He is a software development journeyman with over 18 years of experience delivering software solutions to real problems. He has proven experience as a developer, software architect, team leader and manager.
1. Tell us about your role in EBANX?
I would like to present my role based on four pillars:
Engineering culture: To keep our systems running with quality and flexibility so that the engineering team can support our company’s growth;
Results: To continually deliver value for the company, stimulating hard work and setting the standard;
People development: To promote an environment of honesty, fairness, and safety so that the entire team deliver the best they can and develop themselves;
Strategy: To anticipate future needs and accelerate decision-making.
2. Can you tell us about your journey into this market?
My interest in computers started during my childhood in the late 1980s when I got my first game console, an Atari 2600; the machine was still popular here in Brazil. Since then, computers are part of my life.
I have been working as a software developer for 20 years now, always working with commercial software.
3. How do you think technology is developing the Finance Sector?
Technology and the finance sector go hand in hand since the dawn of computing. The ability to represent and move wealth using computers enables humanity to create and move wealth in a precise and efficient way at an unprecedented pace.
4. How has digitalization enhanced methods of payments?
Digitalization makes virtual money transfer instant and global through credit cards. It also gives access to people with alternative payment methods such as e-wallets, QRcode based payments, and cryptocurrencies.
5. Do you think there is a need to localize methods of payments around the globe?
I sure do, for every market has its peculiarities. For instance, here in Brazil, the Boleto Bancário is a well-known payment method. It allows the customer to pay for purchases in cash through a bank slip in person. Most Brazilians also do not have an international credit card and like to pay with installments. In order to reach consumers that use these and other alternative payment methods, localizing payments is a must.
6. What features of your payment solutions differentiates it in the market?
One of EBANX differentials is going beyond payments: besides payment solutions, EBANX offers to its merchants all the know-how on the region, marketing consultancy, and customer services for the end-users of our merchants, in their own language.
7. What advice would you like to give to the Startups?
Technology matters, build things to last, and do not succumb to urgency.
The only way to go fast is to go well.
8. Which Startup technology has grabbed your attention?
I have been using virtualization and distributed systems technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes. They allow systems to be distributed and scaled more easily.
9. How do you prepare for a Technology-centric world?
One should keep on learning, always. I found that audiobooks and podcasts suit me well since I can listen to it during my commute and while doing the chores at home. It is also essential to focus on the things that matter – technology gave us access to everything, and it is easy to get lost
10. Can you tell us about your team and how it supports you?
We are over 50 software developers in charge of EBANX’s cross-border payments platform. There are seven teams, each responsible for an aspect of our operation, such as Core Payments, Financial Operations, Anti-Fraud, and Merchant Integration.
11. Which Book are you reading these days?
I have just finished reading How Not to Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking, by Jordan Ellenberg. It is an engaging book about how to apply mathematical thinking on day to day situations.
12. We have heard that you have a very joyful work culture, we won’t mind having a look at some of the pictures?
13. Can you give us a glance of the applications you use on your phone?