Today, Varo Bank — the first all-digital, nationally-chartered U.S. consumer built from the ground up techbank — announced that it will offer Zelle® in its mobile banking app. Zelle® is a safe way to send and receive money with friends, family, and small businesses you trust.
Varo is the first techbank to be able to offer Zelle® in its app without the need to partner with a bank, solidifying Varo as a technology leader in digital banking. Eligible Varo customers1 can now use Zelle® in the Varo app as a fast, free2, and secure way to send and receive money between people they know and trust with a checking or savings account3. The addition of Zelle® opens the door to the 90 million people4 in the U.S. who are driving the growth of digital banking, including those with limited or inconsistent access to traditional financial institutions.
“Adding Zelle® to our product lineup is our bank charter in action”, said Colin Walsh, Founder and CEO of Varo Bank. “We are excited to welcome millions of Americans to access Varo’s full range of benefits on our modern, secure, digital banking platform that now includes the ability to quickly send and receive money.”
“Today, more than 150 million people have access to Zelle® directly through their banking app with no additional downloads necessary,” said Kash Baghaei, Chief Product Officer of Early Warning Services, LLC, the network operator of Zelle®. “Varo Bank customers will now have a way to send money to friends, family and others they trust, whether they need to pay back a friend for dinner, split the cost of rent with a roommate, or pitch in for a group gift.”
With its suite of products and services, Varo Bank is reimagining the modern banking experience and providing customers with the tools they need to build financial resilience and realize their financial power. Other offerings include Varo Believe5, a secured card designed to help build credit, and Varo Savings Account, which provides one of the highest Annual Percentage Yields (APYs) in the U.S.6
To learn more about Zelle® at Varo Bank, visit: varomoney.com/zelle.
(1) To be eligible to enroll in Zelle® at Varo, you must have a qualifying direct deposit in the last 31 days. Once enrolled, you will always be able to access Zelle® at Varo. Varo customers that have had any Zelle® transaction in their Varo Bank Account prior to November 3, 2022 are grandfathered and will be eligible to enroll in Zelle® at Varo. Qualifying direct deposits are electronic deposits of your paycheck, pension or government benefits (such as Social Security or unemployment) from your employer or government agency. Tax refunds and government stimulus payments, Person-to-Person payments (such as Venmo), and funds deposited using a Varo routing number are not considered a direct deposit.
(2) Varo does not charge fees to use Zelle®. Message and data rates from your mobile service provider may apply.
(3) U.S. checking or savings account required to use Zelle®. Transactions between enrolled consumers typically occur in minutes and generally do not incur transaction fees.
(4) Varo Bank / Bain & Co. Research, June 2022
(5) Varo Believe is a secured credit card designed to help you build credit.; however a variety of factors impact your credit and not all factors are equally weighted. Building credit may take time. Varo Believe may be able to help when you consistently make on-time payments.
(6) According to The Ascent’s review of Varo Savings Account.